On 11th July, 1940, Fr. Zoetemelk arrives at Mzambazi, in Mzimba District to survey the land and check the possibilities of opening a new mission in the area. Inkosi ya Makosi M’mberwa and Chief Chindi gave permission under the intervention of the Governor of Nyasaland. In the same year, a number of young priests arrived at the mission: Frs. Dupuis, Legare, Riopel de Repentigny and Poulin. When the mission was finally established, Fr. Zoetemelk moved to Karonga to establish another mission there.